Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dooley Fort

Dooley Fort 2 years 1 week ago #6572

• lencross
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Some time ago I tried to get some information, or photos of the Dooley Fort which was demolished to make way for the Dock. It was a wonderful play area when I was living or visiting Felixstowe. The whole area has now changed with the marshes now covered with buildings, concrete and containers.
I have a couple of photos I took about 1960 and there are a couple in the Old Photos of Felixstowe, Walton and surrounds books. Has anyone got anymore photos of the Fort?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dooley Fort 2 years 6 days ago #6590

• Professor
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Len -Are you able to post these pictures online they would be interesting from a historical point of view.Is it possible to say roughly where the old Dooley Fort is located, I know it is now covered by tarmac and containers but was it close to the current Dooley pub?

Dooley Fort 2 years 6 days ago #6596

• northender67
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
I would say it was a couple of hundred years further on, at the bottom of Ferry Lane.
Formally known as OFCAman

Dooley Fort 2 years 6 days ago #6599

• Professor
  • Senior Boarder
A couple of hundred years! I'm sure Len cross isn't that old. I presume you meant yards of course, thanks it's interesting to know.

PS I'd edit your mistake before that custodian of forum accuracy Loon spots it. :whistle: :ohmy:

Dooley Fort 2 years 5 days ago #6608

• greybeardloon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Didn't even spot it - just read it straight off as "yards". I must be losing my touch. :( :( GBL

Dooley Fort 2 years 5 days ago #6609

• Professor
  • Senior Boarder
Is the Loon's status as the platonic philosopher king and guardian of the forum under threat? :side: :evil: :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: greybeardloon

Dooley Fort 2 years 5 days ago #6611

• greybeardloon
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
And who shall guard the guards? ;);) GBL

Dooley Fort 2 years 5 days ago #6612

• ChrisG
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 316
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?, as my mother never used to say . .

Dooley Fort 2 years 4 days ago #6620

• northender67
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
greybeardloon wrote:
Didn't even spot it - just read it straight off as "yards". I must be losing my touch. :( :( GBL

As must I, clearly. In my defence, it's been many yards since I was last in that part of town.
Formally known as OFCAman
The following user(s) said Thank You: david, greybeardloon

Dooley Fort 2 years 9 hours ago #6664

• lencross
  • Senior Boarder
The Dooley Fort was about 200 yards passed the pub and slightly to the left. A dirt road took you over the sea wall and then veared left. The martello tower was demolished and all the bricks removed all that was left were some large square pieces of concrete with huge rings of iron imbeded in them. At first I thought these were for tieing slaves too, but on reflection I think they were to anchor the cannons which would have been on top of the tower. The battery part of the Fort was made up of 3 huge mounds with concrete between them where more cannons were located looking out across the Orwell. The outer wall was built of off white suffolk bricks at one time there was a moat.
I suspect the site was tided up as an early photo taken in 1942 shows the site strewn with lumps of the fort after the army used it for target practice. In my photos taken about 1960 the rubble was gone and slabs of concrete had been placed against the inner curving wall. The central mound had a concrete triangle (recent) to indicate it was the highest point. Standing on this was a fantastic view.
At low tide it was possible to walk around the outer wall on the concrete foundations.
To find my two photos of the Fort go to Old Photos of Felixstowe. I have another photo looking across the Orwell from the Fort. A local historian though the wood pilings could have been part of the jetty for the ferry, which ran up Walton Creek(not sure if this is the correct name)
A great pity it has been destroyed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zaax

Dooley Fort 2 years 9 hours ago #6665

• lencross
  • Senior Boarder
To find my photos of the Dooley Fort it is easier to Google Dooley Fort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zaax, greybeardloon
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds